Now Hiring: Network Engineer
Thursday, September 12, 2019
Under the general direction of the Director of technical support, the Network Engineer position helps users achieve optimum use of their computer networks by performing needs analysis, procurement support, installation, training and problem resolution for the local and wide area networks. Responsible for configuration, operation, and administration of network server hardware, operating systems, and communications links. Defines and implements solutions to integrate desktop and shared devices into local and wide area networks and/or other host-based networks. Recommends appropriate computer tools to users including equipment software, documentation, and training. Incumbent has routine contact with information systems staff, all levels of employees as end users, and vendor representatives. Responsible for coordination of all activities regarding the organization's data networks.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Analyzes users' needs. Recommends appropriate network configurations to meet users’ needs and departmental standards.
- Implements and maintains bridges, routers, gateways, remote access servers, domain servers, security firewalls, application and device servers and Internet or Intranet devices and connections.
- Designs, configures, monitors and optimizes local and wide area networks and printers for optimal performance, maximum availability, minimal maintenance, and reasonable costs.
- Performs preventative and fault isolation maintenance on the local and wide area networks. Performs file maintenance on servers, domains, electronic post offices, and user files and/or data bases.
- Designs, configures, maintains and manages network security features for local and wide area networks. Configures, monitors, and maintains anti-virus programs to insure network and systems integrity. Adds and deletes users as required on network servers and applications.
- Performs customization and system administration for network management, task/project management, help desk, work group integration, documentation, and educational software packages on local and wide area networks.
- Works with telecommunications engineers to integrate voice, data and video applications on the local and wide area networks. Performs basic telephone maintenance as required.
- Analyzes, recommends, and evaluates new hardware, software, and communications products for network compatibility and applicability.
- Develops, maintains and updates a library of technical documentation.
- Performs advanced diagnostics and maintenance on desktop devices when additional expertise is required.
- Assumes contractual management responsibilities, assists in requests for proposals, vendor selection, and contract monitoring.
- Works with cross-functional teams in the design and implementation of information technology. Assists in the training of other information systems personnel to improve their technical skills.
- Assist departmental management with development of systems standards, short and long term goals, project management, and strategic directions.
- Keeps current on new developments and techniques in information technology
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
*Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
*This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel to onsite clients is required.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field or equivalent technical or professional experience related to the design, installation, and maintenance of local and wide area network required.
- Minimum of five years of related work experience, with a minimum of two years of experience installing and maintaining local and wide area networks required.
- Documentation knowledge of local and wide area networks; computer software and hardware; knowledge of data communications, network planning and analysis; and vendor evaluations. Strong analytical skills and effective interpersonal and communication skills to interact with a wide range of users having different levels of computer expertise. Ability to design workable solutions to problems in a timely manner.
- Ability to transport self to various facility sites as required. If using own motor vehicle, must possess a valid state driver’s license and proof of insurance that meets the minimum standards of the state.
Preferred Education and Experience
Any technical certifications and/or technical training in personal computer hardware and/or software, servers, local and wide area networks, and/or communications highly desirable.
Job Type: Full-time
Sign Up for Our E-Newsletter
Every month, we'll send you our latest blogs, news and announcements.